And in the course of the month that has gone by since I actually could sit back down and re-read the new scene I worried about whether or not it was working. I mean, yes, I introduce an important character and her relationship with the protagonist, but the entire scene is a conversation between 3 people in a tent, with my protagonist simply witnessing, since he is the squire to the knight in the scene and therefore spends the bulk of the scene refilling the knight's cup.
So, I pondered whether or not I should scrap the scene and re-write it with the female as the POV character (something which she will be at some point in the book).
But then today, I finally actually sat down and pulled up the scene to give a read-through. And I discovered I quite like it. It does work. I introduce the female character and introduce an aspect of the main protagonist's character that increases the impact of the scene. I discovered that I had been interrupted mid-sentence and found myself able to easily continue to the conclusion of the scene.
Also, what I like about the scene is the dialog can be tweaked in re-writes if I decide I need to impart more information or less information without hurting the overall scene.
I'm glad I actually waited and gave this scene the distance it needed for me to see that it actually was working.
Now I think the next scene will be the one where the female becomes a POV character as well.
I've already some good ideas on how to build from this scene, especially with her stepping in with POV duties for a chapter or two.